The Barn Church in Kew Caroline Blomfield
Places in History is an ongoing project. It uses placemarks in Google Maps to identify the exact position of a building, street or other feature, with a satellite view of the location. The maps link to pages in HistoryWorld for historical details, images and timelines.
Places in History
Kew - the Barn Church
1929 - The beams and threshing stones of a 17th-century barn from Oxted, Surrey, are reassembled in North Sheen (now Kew) to form the first barn church in Britain. Dedicated to the memory of members of the Lambert and Hoare families, who donated the beams and the bricks, it is consecrated as the church of St Philip and All Saints, but becomes known as the Barn Church, Kew. (Lambert, 17-23)
2002 - The west end of the Barn Church is redesigned by Keith Murray to accommodate the Darby Room (named after the vicar, Nicholas Darby), a gallery and ancillary facilities for community use. (Local knowledge, DB)
List of places already entered
Contributors — to this page DB (RLHS)