Places in History is an ongoing project, involving local history societies. It uses placemarks in Google Maps to identify the exact position of a building, street or other feature, with a satellite view of the location. The maps link to pages in HistoryWorld for historical details and images, and to timelines in TimeSearch for a broader range of data.


HistoryWorld's

Places in History

Twickenham – Whitton Park and Whitton Place



1680 - A private estate on the West Field corner of Hounslow Heath, comprising 12 acres of land and a substantial house, becomes known as Whitton Park.

1722 - Whitton Park is bought by Archibald Campbell, Lord Ilay, later 3rd Duke of Argyll.

1724 - Whitton Park is extended to 26 acres and planted with exotic trees and shrubs.

1725 - An aviary and a 'Green House' designed by James Gibbs are built in Whitton Park.

1735 - A Palladian villa designed by Roger Morris is built in the eastern quarter of Whitton Park, and this new house becomes known as Whitton Place.

1763 - Some of Whitton Park's finest specimen trees and shrubs are transferred to the newly created botanical gardens at Kew.

1766 - George Gostling buys Whitton Park, converts the greenhouse to a mansion and divides the estate, selling or leasing Whitton Place.

1797 - George Gostling II inherits Whitton Park and commisions Humphrey Repton to landscape the grounds.

c. 1850 - Whitton Place is demolished and the grounds are rejoined with Whitton Park.

1892 - Colonel Gostling-Murray dies and Whitton Park is put up for sale.

1910 - Whitton Park estate is bought for housing and the house is demolished.

c. 1960s - The remaining part of Whitton Tower or Whitton Castle, a gothic tower built in the grounds of Whitton Park in the 1740s, is demolished.


Map

List of places already entered

Twickenham and Whitton timeline

Sources — for this page Foster

Contributors — to this page MC (BOTLHS)