West Hall in Kew, by William Harriott, 1819


Places in History is an ongoing project. It uses placemarks in Google Maps to identify the exact position of a building, street or other feature, with a satellite view of the location. The maps link to pages in HistoryWorld for historical details, images and timelines.


HistoryWorld's

Places in History

Kew - West Hall



c. 1500 - The manor of East Sheen and West Hall is carved out of the manor or Mortlake, including all that part of Kew that now lies between the river, the A316 and the District railway

.1675 - The house of West Hall is built for let, probably by Thomas Juxon, lord of the manor, to be followed by the house of Brick Farm, along with farm buildings for the flourishing market garden trade, that would feed London for the next two centuries

1780 - The Taylor family inherit the manor of East Sheen and West Hall, and move into Brick Farm

1837 - The Taylor estate of East Sheen and West Hall passes to the Leyborne-Pophams of Littlecote in Wiltshire. From 1841 to 1851 Sir William Hooker, the first Director of Kew Gardens, rents Brick Farm and re-names it West Park

1901 - The Leyborne-Pophams start selling off the market gardens and then the farm buildings of East Sheen and West Hall for housing and cemeteries and sewage works, with West Park becoming part of an industrial estate. Of the hamlet only West Hall, and the 18th-century houses of West Farm and West Lodge, survive

2007 - After major damage by fire, the elegant Grade 2 house of West Hall - Kew’s only surviving 17th-century house apart from Kew Palace, and occupied over 300 years variously by soldiers, artists, lawyers, and market gardeners - is restored by the Bissell Thomas family


Map

List of places already entered

Kew timeline

Sources   for this page Blomfield 4, 34-36 and Local Knowledge

Contributors to this page DB (RLHS)