St Mary's Church in 2007 from Bell Hill (JS)
More Images

Places in History is an ongoing project. It uses placemarks in Google Maps to identify the exact position of a building, street or other feature, with a satellite view of the location. The maps link to pages in HistoryWorld for historical details, images and timelines.


Places in History

Hampton - St Mary's Church

1342 - The Vicars of St Mary's Church are known back to 1342 and the old Church possibly existed from c.1250

1679 - Tower of St Mary's Church is rebuilt in red brick, replacing one of flint and stone

1726-28 - North aisle of St Mary's Church is built, with vaults beneath, and school room (earlier building for Hampton School) and vestry room attached

1829-30 - Old St Mary's Church is demolished but many monuments transferred to new Church on the same site and vaults continue to be used under new building

1831 - New St Mary's Church opens, designed by Edward Lapidge, in white brick with stone dressings in Gothic revival style and with sqare pinnacled tower at the west end

1887 - Chancel is added at the east end of St Mary's Church to celebrate the Golden Jubilee of Queeen Victoria


List of places

Hampton and Teddington timeline

Sources   for this page Sheaf Howe

Contributors to this page JS (BOTLHS)