Sudbrook House, now Richmond Golf Club

Places in History is an ongoing project, involving local history societies. It uses placemarks in Google Maps to identify the exact position of a building, street or other feature, with a satellite view of the location. The maps link to pages in HistoryWorld for historical details and images, and to timelines in TimeSearch for a broader range of data.


HistoryWorld's

Places in History

Ham and Petersham – Sudbrook Park



1715 - John Campbell, Duke of Argyll, defeats the Old Pretenderís troops at the battle of Sherrifmuir, for which he is rewarded with an estate in Petersham, carved out of Richmond Park. Here in the 1720s James Gibbs builds the Palladian villa of Sudbrook Park, with a famous cube room.

1844 - Dr Weiss, followed by Dr Ellis, establish a hydropathy clinic at Sudbrook Park, which runs for twenty years, despite accusations of manslaughter when patients died following the cold water-treatment

1898 - Richmond Golf Club is established at Sudbrook Park.


Map

List of places already entered

Ham and Petersham timeline

Sources — for this page McEwen1, 4 and Latham1, 59-60, Richmond Golf Club

Contributors — to this page DB (RLHS)