St Peter's Church, beneath Richmond Hill in Petersham pomphorhynchus
Places in History is an ongoing project, involving local history societies. It uses placemarks in Google Maps to identify the exact position of a building, street or other feature, with a satellite view of the location. The maps link to pages in HistoryWorld for historical details and images, and to timelines in TimeSearch for a broader range of data.
Places in History
Ham and Petersham – St Peter's Church
1114 - A 'chapelry' exists by now in Petersham, probably occupying the same site as a Saxon church mentioned in the Domesday Book.
1505 - St Peterís is rebuilt, retaining some Norman work in the chancel from the original Ďchapelryí.
1791 - After centuries as a chapel of Kingston, and 22 years in which it shared a parish with Kew, St Peterís is established as a parish in its own right. By now it has acquired 17th-century transepts and a tower.
1798 - Captain George Vancouver, who discovered Vancouver Island, Canada, and retired to live in Petersham, is buried in St Peterís.
1840 - St Peterís is almost doubled in size, with new galleries and a much enlarged south transept.
1881 - The future Earl of Strathmore marries Nina Cavendish-Bentinck of Forbes House, Petersham in St Peterís. Their youngest daughter will marry George, Duke of York and be known later in life as HM Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother.
List of places already entered
Ham and Petersham timeline
Sources — for this page Cloake3,37 and Richmond1,1-3
Contributors — to this page DB (RLHS)