Places in History is an ongoing project, involving local history societies. It uses placemarks in Google Maps to identify the exact position of a building, street or other feature, with a satellite view of the location. The maps link to pages in HistoryWorld for historical details and images, and to timelines in TimeSearch for a broader range of data.
Places in History
Ham and Petersham – Newman House
1742 - Grove House is built in Ham Street, Ham.
1802 - The family of John Henry Newman (later Cardinal Newman) move to Grove House (now Grey Court House), where they stay for five years.
1940s-2000s - Grey Court House (now called Newman House) is used first as a nursery school and then as a unit within Greycourt Secondary School. It is the only house in Ham to have a blue plaque.
List of places already entered
Ham and Petersham timeline
Sources — for this page Pasmore, 15-17 and Ham1,56
Contributors — to this page DB (RLHS)