The Jews' Hospital was built in 1852 by leading New York Jews. A 4-storey building, it fronted onto 28th Street between 7th and 8th Avenues and contained one large and several small wards on each floor. The hospital was maintained by Jewish philanthropy but was open to all denominations. Between 1881 and 1900, however, 675,000 Jews, mostly from eastern Europe, entered the United States, 70-90% of whom settled in New York. The hospital changed its name to Mount Sinai Hospital and became one of the largest and most prestigious in America. The importance of Jewish hospitals lay in their provision of kosher facilities and observance of religious customs. By 1914, about 150,000 Jewish immigrants were living in the East End of London. The London Hospital had opened its first Jewish wards in 1839, and by 1885, 6.8% of its inpatients were Jewish. In Manchester, where there were no facilities for Jewish patients, a Jewish hospital was opened in 1904. By 1907, an East End barber named Isaac Berliner began raising funds to build a London Jewish hospital. It finally opened in 1919 as an outpatient centre but an inpatient department was added in 1921. The hospital was demolished in 1935 and replaced by a private, secular hospital.Coloured wood engraving.